~*~ Rose-Colored Glosses ~*~

hovering between the quest for absolute truth and the pursuit of utter nonsense
 
gloss, n.
  1. A brief explanatory note usually inserted in the margin or between lines of a text.
  2. An extensive commentary, often accompanying a text or publication.
  3. A purposefully misleading interpretation or explanation.
~ welcome to Rose-Colored Glosses ~ bloghome | contact ~
* Archives *
March 2003
April 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
November 2005
December 2005
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
August 2006
September 2006
December 2006
January 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
April 2008
May 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
November 2008
February 2009
March 2009
February 2012
* Stuff I Read *
Bioethics Blog
Poor Mojo's Newswire
Balashon
Language Hat
Overheard In New York
Areas of His Expertise
Dooce
xkcd
* Quotes *
"The limits of my language means the limits of my world."
-Ludwig Wittgenstein
"An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Segal's Law:
A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.
"Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And East is East and West is West and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste more like prunes than a rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know."
-Groucho Marx

~ Monday, February 09, 2004 ~

*whew*
On Friday afternoon, JTS called me to schedule an interview. In spite of all the plain speaking (read: writing) I did in my essays, I seem to have passed Stage One of the filtering process. :)

The interview isn't scheduled yet, because when the person from JTS called to schedule it on Friday afternoon, my phone didn't ring, which is highly typical for my phone. The guy who left the message on behalf of JTS's admissions office was named Chris.

Oh, and (I can never manage to keep my posts to just one topic) after wondering about the word "silly" after making my last post, I went and looked it up in the Oxford English Dictionary, Concise Edition, which I now own (ranks up there among the best birthday presents I've ever received), using the nifty magnifying hemisphere and breathing in the wonderful new-book-just-opened fragrance, which is almost as good as the old-book-just-opened fragrance. I remember reading an article on the office door of some history professor in Building 200 about how that delicious thrill of opening up an old book that historians and other scholars get to know so well might actually be caused by getting high from breathing air rich with mold and mildew. I wish I could find that article. You know, professors' office doors are good sources of reading material. And not just all the Far Side comics you find in the music buildings, either. It was on the office door of a Philosophy (Ethics?) Prof. I'd never met that I first saw the delicious Faerie's Aire and Death Waltz, a copy of which then lived on my dorm door for a long time. All harpists stand up and wait...silliness, indeed.

Which brings me back to my topic. There I was looking up 'silly' in the OED, CE*, and I found out that it used to have a sense more like innocent, vulnerable, and weak, rather than stupid and inane. (By the way, the correct adverbial form is indeed 'sillily'. Likewise, 'lovelily'. I've wondered about that.) Apparently, it comes from Middle English, in which it was spelled seely, which bears a striking resemblance to the term seelie, as in the court of fairies that conducts itself according to nice rules, as opposed to the unseelie court, that will take your baby and switch it with an imp while you're in the other room drawing the bath water. In this incarnation, seelie seems to have connotations of blessedness rather than simply harmlessness, which is fine with me. Silliness is next to Godliness? Why not?

*The other version is so hopelessly out of date.

Current Music: Jeux d'Enfants, Alegria

~ prattled by Miriam at 12:12 a.m. [+]

* * *
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is 

powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?